2014 is expected to continue to be an important year for content marketing. Budgets and content production are increasing, strategies are becoming more targeted and effective and quality continues is a top concern.
Smart content marketers know one of the most important components of a strong marketing strategy is keeping up with the times. But this can be difficult when methods frequently change and research time is limited.
The goal of this post is to provide a source of reference to help marketers understand the current state of content marketing, learn about its future growth and leverage this knowledge in an effort to make better decisions.
The Best Content Marketing Resources
A simple Google search for "content marketing" or "content marketing resources" will return with a wealth of websites and articles. But how do you select the best and most reliable sources from this vast list?
- Content Marketing Institute: Also known as the king of all things content marketing. CMI provides how-to guidance, advice, blog articles and an active discussion community. (Tip: Click the link and scroll to the "If you are new to the site" section for great introductions on what CMI offers.) The bottom line: if you have a question about content marketing, CMI will answer it for you.
- eMarketer: As an industry-leading digital marketing research firm, eMarketer publishes three new articles a day. It aggregates data from thousands of global sources to answer questions about content marketing, consumer behavior, metrics, ad spending and more. It's respected and trusted by companies in every industry, making it the perfect reliable resource to learn about trends and topics of interest.
- KISSmetrics: If you're looking for a blog about analytics, marketing and testing, KISSmetric is your source. For example. the "44 Must Read Resources on Content Marketing" article presents numerous resources for content marketing ideas, beginners' information, tips and tricks, ROI, content sharing and tools. Blogs are published often and cover topics especially relevant to content marketers looking for general information.
- Marketo: Marketo is a marketing automation software firm with extensive blog articles and downloadable how-to guides for content marketing, inbound marketing, lead management, and more.
- Kapost: Kapost provides content marketing consultation services in addition to handy resources like The Complete Guide to Building Your Content Marketing Workflow.
The Next Step: Explore!
Again, the most important thing to remember when formulating content marketing strategy is that things change, and they change often. Marketers should be sure to make a habit of checking industry news daily. The resources above are a great start, but don't stop there. Keep exploring!
What are your favorite content marketing resources? Let us know in the comments below!